Monday, May 3, 2010

Birthday Weekend

This five year old had a very fun birthday weekend. I don't think she really expected to get what she had asked for, so she was truly surprised when she opened this up:

This was her favorite thing to do on her new skateboard

Despite my doubts, she really loved it, and got the hang of it pretty quickly.

Tatum got a turn too

This little cutie had fun watching

We are having a birthday party for both Avery & Tatum in a couple weeks on Tatum's actual birthday. So, to make Avery's actual birthday special, we had her BFF Rylin sleepover at our house that night. It was our first official sleepover, and it was so much fun!
They watched movies on their sleeping bags until after midnight... Tinkerbell & the Lost Treasure then Jungle Book. Avery fell asleep first, Rylin & Tatum were still awake at 12:30, so I put them upstairs in beds. They were out in minutes.
We got dressed up for tea & crumpets ~
Our tea was apple juice and our crumpets were marshmellows, chocolate chips and popcorn.

Laney isn't really crazy about dressing up yet (although her big sissies definitely have tried)
but she loved playing with the big girls outside

Here's the three princesses on their royal carriage...

I thought they might sleep in a little bit since they were up so late, but they started making noises around 7:30 the next morning. So we made froot loop necklaces for breakfast! Yummy!



I also got to speak at our FCA girls' Purity Retreat this weekend... I'm never sure how much to share or what God wants me to share when I talk to these students about my personal testimony. I was so busy all week, I really didn't prepare anything, but I just prayed before I went and trusted God to speak the words He wanted me to share. My sweet Kim & Sam, two seniors who I adore and admire so much, were very prepared and asked me very specific questions, which made it very simple for me to answer. I don't remember all that I said, but I left feeling blessed and thankful that God gave me the opportunity to speak to these teenage girls about Jesus' grace and love in their relationships with boys.
I was also so encouraged on Sunday as our church had "Youth Week" where the youth group led every aspect of church. They led worship, gave the sermon, took up offering, were ushers, taught our nursery/pre-school sunday school classes, even gave personal testimonies in all the adult sunday school classes. I don't know why I'm so emotional about it, but I was fighting back tears the whole time watching these teenagers serve Jesus in such mature, courageous ways.
I feel so hopeful for the future knowing that there are teenagers that love Jesus and are sacrificing popularity and "worldly" gain in order to serve Jesus every day.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Melanie, how cool that you got to speak to the girls at the purity retreat. And I love the thought of a whole day at church run by the teenagers. We got to be a part of a youth Sunday one time at a small church in Georgia. It was so neat!

Erica said...

What a fun birthday celebration. You did a great job of making it special for her!
That is also very cool that you got to speak to those girls. It is always a neat opportunity to see how the Lord can use your story for his glory!