Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Aggieland



Bodie's first trip to Aggieland
We went to march-in on Sunday afternoon with our friends, the Kopp's. It was so fun to be back in Aggieland, even if it was just for a few hours. We didn't have tickets to the game, but we thought it would be fun to let the kids watch all the football players, band, and Corps march into Kyle Field. It was fun to see our kids experience some of the fun and excitement of being an Aggie. When the band marched by, I looked over at our girls and they were all mesmerized. Their eyes were huge and their little mouths were open. I've always loved the Aggie band, honestly that is my favorite part of the football games. So it was fun to watch the girls reaction to the band and all the Corps of Cadets marching by. Of course, they loved seeing Reveille walk by too. I realized after they marched by that I probably should've covered Bodie's ears, poor guy, but he seemed to really enjoy all the activity and noise.

After everyone went into Kyle Field, we walked back through the Quad and let our kids run around campus for a few minutes before heading to Layne's for dinner. We sat around and talked and watched the game on TV for a couple hours before driving back home.

Here's our crew with Morgan & Mason
I don't think we've had a good family picture taken of all of us since Bodie was born. So here we are with our little future Aggies. We look forward to the days when we can take them all to the games and enjoy the whole day here, but for this stage of life, this was just about right. All the way home, we heard occasional "whooping" coming from the backseat and we smiled,

Good start to the season too. We came out with a big win. Gig em!

Tatum & Laney started preschool last week and here they are on the first day of school. Tatum's teacher told me at the end of the day she had already fallen in love with Tatum. Laney's teacher didn't say anything like that. :)

My friend Bethany works every Tuesday, so she has entrusted me to keep her four little ones every Tuesday while she goes to work. Tuesday is everyone's new favorite day of the week. My girls ask me every day when is it going to be Tuesday again. We have thoroughly enjoyed having the Spenn kids at our house and getting to play with them all day. Yes. you counted correctly, that is 8 kids watching a movie after eating dinner and getting a shower.

Avery & Rylin don't get home from school until around 4 and Brian tries to get home from work around 5, so it is crazy at times, but overall, it is just alot of fun.

Somewhere in the busyness of last month I forgot to post Bodie's 5 month picture. He's half-way to being 6 months now!
Tatum has been teaching herself how to write her letters, with a little help from Avery or me. I was so proud of her when she showed me this coloring sheet where had written the names of everyone in our family. Tatum is so driven, very internally motivated and determined. It excites me to think of all that she can do when she puts her mind to it.

And here's our little guy using his exersaucer for the first time. He loved it! I probably could've pulled it out of the attic a month ago, but now that it's out, he is a jumping pro.

This season of life is hard. I've started several different posts lately trying to put words to it, but I just don't know how to say it. I feel discouraged. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels, working my tail off, but not getting anywhere. Everyone has been asking me, "so how do you like staying home?" My short answer: "It's the hardest thing I've ever done." God is using it to show me lots of things, mostly humility.

Avery needs a lot of help right now. Within the first two weeks of 1st grade, it became very apparent she wasn't keeping up. Her teacher recommended testing her at the learning center. So we are starting the process. It's not at all a surprise, but it is hard on this mama's heart. Last year, she didn't keep up, but she didn't know it. This year she knows. We're praying for her teachers to have patience with her and to show her grace. We're praying that somehow she will get the help she needs so that she will love school again and feel successful.

There are so many little things that I can see God chipping away at in me. I am trying to be thankful. This is a season.

2 comments:

Jennifer Kindle said...

Love you mel...sorry this season is trying for you but thanks for sharing...i will pray more specifically for you...and avery.

Jayne Wittschen said...

We are doing the whole aggie march thing in this wknd, but have no tickets to the game! I think Dane will have fun though seeing the band. I'm sorry your sweet Avery is having a tough time right now. I will lift her up in prayers! You are an amazing mommy! Your kids are so blessed to have the parents they have!