Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hiccups & Home

Last night while I was feeding Laney before putting her down, I got a major case of hiccups. I mean, the kind where your whole body jumps every 5 seconds. It was really frusterating to Laney b/c she could never get a good rhythm going with her eating. Everytime she'd suck, I'd hiccup and bounce her off me. So I tried really hard to just relax and take deep breaths so they would slow down. Finally she got a rhythm and finished eating. When I held her up to burp her, she starting hiccuping too!!! And now that her tummy was full, she thought the sounds of my hiccups were hilarious. She busted out in laughter when I hiccuped and I laughed at her every time she hiccuped. I don't know how on earth we both got them at the same time, but it was one of those little blessings from God that just makes you smile.

I made a list back in January (when we were still in the "dreaming" stage of thinking about moving) of all the features we would like our new house to have some day. I pulled it out last week to look at it again, and I was absolutely amazed & humbled that God answered our unspoken prayers by giving us EVERY thing on that list! Our list was pretty specific too. Things like: long flat driveway to play basketball, seat in master shower so i can shave my legs easier, two sinks in the girls' bathroom, secondary bedrooms close to master bedroom, spacious living room for having company, big backyard with covered patio, divided staircase so if the kids fall it won't be too bad, one big garage door instead of two little ones, easy access for dogs to go to bed in the laundry room, and the list goes on. I mean crazy specific stuff. And this house has everything on our list. And several bonus things we never knew to ask for, but that we are so glad to have. It is so awesome that we serve a God that cares about the little details that matter to us and is so generous with us.

This is not the order I was planning to post the pictures in, but for some reason I can't cut & paste them (can anyone tell me why blogger won't allow that anymore? or is it a setting I have messed up?), so this will have to do.

The living room, with our clean, folded laundry on display The girls new bunk beds! I can't wait to get their room decorated with some PINK stuff!

Tatum did not want to eat her taco soup tonight. No banana pudding for dessert. Poor thing.

Our kitchen "before." I hope very soon to post "after" pictures when we bless it with new countertops & backsplash. I guess 2 inch tiles were cool in 1989.
The view from my kitchen... the GAMEROOM and the backyard!

Laney is a sitter now!

No basketball goal yet... Christmas present maybe?

The yard still takes my breath away. It is the main reason we chose this house.

Brian finished summer school today and starts volleyball tomorrow. I wish for his sake he had a break, but I am so thankful he is willing to work hard & that he enjoys what he does.
Some friends have asked me recently how I am feeling about going back to work in a few weeks. Honestly, I am at peace about it. I am not looking forward to it, but it's not the end of the world. Life will go on and God will carry me through another school year. The girls will enjoy their time with their Gigi or Nana taking care of them while I work each morning and I will try to keep the perspective that I am my husband's helper and it is a privelege to help him in this way. Please pray for me that the Lord will help me be more bold & outgoing in my faith this year at school. I feel like God has kept me at that school all these years for a reason and I don't think I've fulfilled it yet. I hope this will be the year I fulfill my purpose there, whatever that may be.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

MELANIE! I love your house! It is gorgeous on the inside and outside. What a neat gameroom with a vaulted ceiling and oh my word - the backyard! I'm amazed at the way God gave you everything you asked for on your list and more. He is so faithful and generous. I will be praying for you as you go back to school soon. You are an awesome mom and an awesome wife. I pray you will be at peace with your sweet self. My mom has always said that a part-time job is a mom's best friend. Amen?

Rachelle said...

Melanie, your new house is awesome!! That is a HUGE covered patio, and the porch swing!!! I love it. How sweet is it to sit on your swing and watch your little girls play in your huge back yard. You guys really got a great new home. I still hope to run into you again one of these days. I jog over that way all the time on Forest Heights, I'll keep my eye out for ya. Congrats on the new house!!

Sarah said...

Melanie, your new home is absolutely gorgeous! I know you guys are going to just love raising your kiddos there! Okay, that backyard is amazing! Where in the world do you find one of those in this area? Sign us up! Garrett could run around that thing for hours! :-)

We'll be praying for your school year. They are so blessed to have you back another year!

Love ya!
Sarah

Sarah said...

P.S. Tell Tatum that Garrett didn't get dessert last night either...don't bad choices just stink sometimes?!?

Tiffany said...

Melanie! Your house is breathtaking...I love it and it is so neat to see how God richly blessed your wants and needs! That backyard...amazing! Praying for your school year too.

Caroline in Wisconsin said...

I love the house, even the 2" tiles from 1989! Really! Anyhow, I saw you mentioned the Hiccups and so I have to share my "Hiccup Passion" with you. I just had a children's book published called "Huckleberry's Hiccups". Check it out at www.strategicbookpublishing.com/HuckleberrysHiccups.html
I'm a mom of 2 boys and I wrote the book because my youngest son had the hiccups so much. You can email me too if you have questions, at chepfler@yahoo.com
Thanks!
Caroline

cristina said...

melanie! SO thrilled for you! God is gracious--and i love that you had that list and could see it more clearly. :) i should write more stuff down so i can more readily give God the glory that's due to Him!!

i can't believe summer is almost over...maybe we can still see each other again before your work/school schedule begins.

Erica said...

Girl, your house is amazing. I was so blessed that you shared all the details about the house that the Lord provided. We do serve such a faithful Father! I can't wait to come see it in person because it looks AWESOME from this vantage point! That back yard is amazing and makes me want to start looking! I am so happy for your family!

nikki said...

LOVE the house! How fun. Thanks for the photos!!

Ronda said...

Seriously, so pretty! Congratulations on the Lord's gift to your family!