Monday, September 14, 2009

"Course He isn't safe, but He's good..."

I don't feel like I have much to blog about since most of my blogs lately have been about the kids and they aren't really doing anything too extraordinary right now. Except Laney did cut her first tooth this weekend, finally. What a trooper! And Tatum did wear big girl Ariel panties all morning on Saturday, with no accidents. That all changed Saturday afternoon. We went through three pairs of panties in two hours. And lastly, I did decide to cut Avery some bangs. I googled how to cut cute bangs yourself and it didn't seem to hard, so I did it and they came out pretty cute I must say. She looks alot older with bangs.

Anyway, I have been struck that I haven't really blogged about me lately and that is one of the main things I intended this blog to be about. An outlet for me to write what's going on with me.

At church yesterday our Sunday school teacher showed us a movie trailer for an upcoming movie called "Legion." Don't watch it, you will never look at old ladies the same. I am completely petrified when I see an old lady walking close by me. Seriously, I am sweating just thinking about them. I just looked behind my shoulder to make sure there weren't any coming in the room.
Anyway, the premise of the movie is that when God was fed up with mankind the first time He sent a flood. But when God gets fed up with mankind this time, He sends angels (they look more like demons with wings) to destroy mankind. Anyway, our Sunday school teacher made the point that even though the movie is completely heretical and probably horribly anti-God, they did get one thing right: All mankind should FEAR God. He is good, but he is also holy. Hell is real. Except for Christ, we all deserve the most torturous fate because we have failed to be holy as He is holy.

Brian & I were talking about it afterwards, and just realized that you never hear that in Christian circles in church anymore. People want a message that makes you feel good, but they don't want to hear that you should be trembling and your knees should be knocking at the thought of who God really is. It also puts a fire in me to make sure all my non-Christian friends have every possible chance to choose Christ. It is extremely scary to think of them going through such horror.

Growing up, my dad read "The Chronicles of Narnia" to my big brothers & I alot of nights after supper. We would sit at the kitchen table and my dad would get out whichever book we were on and read a few chapters. I would usually fall asleep with my head on the kitchen table, but I remember alot about the books and I have a special place in my heart for them. Rusty brought up this part in class yesterday and I love it:

“Is – is he a man?” asked Lucy.
“Aslan a man!” said Mr. Beaver sternly. “Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-beyond-the-Sea. Don’t you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion – the Lion, the great Lion.”
“Ooh!” said Susan, “I’d thought he was a man. Is he – quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion.”
“That you will, dearie, and no mistake,” said Mrs. Beaver; “if there’s anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they’re either braver than most or else just silly.”
“Then he isn’t safe?” said Lucy.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King I tell you.”


I hope I don't ever get too comfortable with God and treat Him like a big cozy teddy bear. He is not safe, but He is good. Thank you Lord that I serve such an awesome God!

I'm still nervous that there is an old lady behind me. Lord, help me take every thought captive to obedience of Christ! No more thoughts of scary old ladies! Seriously, no matter how tempted you are to watch the trailer, DON'T!!

Happy Birthday, Dad! And thanks for taking the time to implant wisdom in our hearts by reading us great books. Sorry I slept through most of them, but I remember the sound of your voice lulling me to sleep as you read, and I remember the excitement in my brother's voices wanting you to read more. I have such happy memories of growing up as your daughter. I love you! (Mom- could you read this to him when y'all sit down for dinner tonight?)

4 comments:

Jennifer Kindle said...

great post, Mel! I think we do treat Him like a big ol' teddy bear....great insight!

cristina said...

okay, a little off topic but i had to post. "take every thought captive" is what God has been telling me in the last few days...i am seeing it everywhere. you are the latest, just thought i'd let you know. :)

and i find amazing comfort in a big and powerful and confusing God--that i can't tame or explain or fit into a box. thanks for your post!

Erica said...

thanks for that much needed insight! I have had a hard time putting words around God so that a 4 year old could understand. That might do the trick.

Ronda said...

Wow, Melanie! I loved this post, and it's so true! I'm inspired to one day sit around a table with dreamy-eyed kids and read some C.S. Lewis. The word pictures for God's own characteristics are just wonderful!

Your family is beautiful! Hope this school year has been fun!