Tuesday, May 13, 2008

the zoo and a GREAT book

well things have been very busy lately. some good, some not so good. last friday brian decided to take a half-day so we could take the girls to the zoo. we've never been as a family before, and we had such a fun time. avery LOVED it, her favorites were the elephants and the ankole cattle (the enormous cows with horns as big as people). my favorite was the giraffes, and brian liked the eagle and the yucky reptiles. i almost skipped that part, but it was air-conditioned inside the reptile house, and i'm no martyr, so i cooled off with the snakes.

my little monkey
brian's eagle


over the past couple weeks, brian and i both are considering some major changes in our jobs. brian is deciding if he wants to stick with coaching baseball, which means he will need to coach football too, or if he should start back to school for his masters in administration. we are leaning toward him going back to school, but that will probably mean the end of coaching for him.
i am happy to teach, but deeply desire to be home with my girls, and so am praying for God to open a door for me to be home more. i have pretty much no ideas of what else i could do besides teach, but i feel like God will show me something if i wait on Him.

i read a book last week called "same kind of different as me" by ron hall & denver moore. basically a autobiography by two men - one a homeless black sharecropper and the other a rich art dealer. true story lived out in fort worth, texas just a few years ago. this was one of the top 5 books i've ever read in my life. i could've read it in about two days, but i made myself stretch it out to 6 days. some have wondered, when do i have time to read? well, when my girls are napping, i could do useful things like clean my house or do laundry, but i lay on my couch and read. seriously, the way i see it, their nap time is my sanity time, so this is for my health. anyway, if you are looking for a good book to read, i super-highly recommend it.

lastly, a complaint/vent: i am so sick right now, i feel like there is absolutely nothing else on my body that could start hurting, b/c it's all hurting already. i got my flu shot this year, so i don't know what this is, but i feel awful! anyway, right now brian and i are watching "the office" so the pain is temporarily numbed.

11 days of school left... How-la-lula (avery's version)!!!

1 comment:

Ronda said...

I'm so there with you on the "sick train." I went the entire year without being sick and the week before the last week of school has been miserable!!! It makes summer feel like it can't come soon enough! How exciting about all of the changes you are pursuing and praying about for your family. It's so fun to experience new changes you know will be good for your family!