Tuesday, January 20, 2009

3 Kids = BUSY!!!

I am so glad to have a minute to sit down and write up some of my thoughts. Avery & Tatum are at Mothers Day Out and Laney is sleeping peacefully in her bouncy seat, so here we go.

First a couple things that are heavy on my mind today. We should be getting a phone call today regarding Laney's galactosemia. All our prayers and hopes will soon be answered one way or another. If she has galactosemia, I will have to stop breastfeeding immediately, get out the soy formula, and pray that my breastmilk over the past week did not turn toxic in her little body. If she doesn't have it or has the duarte variation of it like A & T, I will fall to my knees and cry and thank God. This is my 3rd time to go through this, so you'd think it would be getting easier, but it isn't. I am very anxious to hear the news.

Also, my sweet PawPaw is having a big surgery on his nose today to help him breathe better. And Brian's precious Grandma K is having a major surgery to remove a kidney that was found cancerous. Please say a quick prayer for our grandparents to have peace, a smooth surgery and quick recovery. We also have two dear friends who are facing big obstacles right now. My friend Allison is pregnant with twins, and the little guy & girl are trying to be born too early. She is only 28 weeks along and is in the hospital for the remainder of the pregnancy so that they can try to keep the babies inside her for a few more weeks. My other friend Beth's sweet little 2-year old, Cooper, is having a brain surgery in a couple weeks in Boston. Please say a prayer for all of them.

So today Laney is ONE week old! It's gone by so fast, and it has been wonderful. She has been such a sweet, content little girl. She hasn't really seemed to mind all the loud noise she hears from her sisters all day. I figure she probably was already used to listening to it from the womb all this time. When she's awake, she definitely focuses on my voice wherever I am. I think I'm her favorite right now, and by gosh I better be, after carrying her around for 9 months! We did have one horrendous night, two nights ago, when she wouldn't sleep more than 10 minutes at a time the whole night unless one of us was holding her. She refused to eat, and she wouldn't lay down in her bassinet without wailing. We agreed afterwards that it was the longest & hardest night ever of all our kids. Thankfully last night she slept great again.

We chose the name Laney Hope for a couple reasons. Laney means "bright light," and Hope means "expectancy." For anyone who knew me growing up, you know that Lane & I were attached at the hip from 2nd grade through high school. I have often prayed for my girls that God would bring each of them a friend like Lane. I truly would not be who I am today if God hadn't given me Lane's friendship. So when Brian suggested the name Laney not too long ago, it just felt right for this little girl. I hope she will be not only a bright light wherever she goes, but also a true friend, to her sisters and to others.

I found this verse the other day that I will be praying for her: "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Matt. 5:16

For her middle name, Hope, I found these verses: "Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I HOPE in Him!" The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should HOPE and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. Lam. 3:22-26.

So her name came together at the last minute, just like I prayed it would, and we couldn't be happier with it. Tatum says it so cute... "N's" are not so easy for her, so it sounds like "Baby Lay-yee." I thought the girls might have a hard time accepting Laney, but so far, they really love her. When Laney is crying, Avery will rub her head real gently and say "it's okay, Laney, I'm here." It is such a blessing to watch these 3 little people God has given us to take care of, and see how they love on each other and play with each other. I am so excited and happy to see them grow up together over the years.

Avery & Brian fishing with her new Dora fishing pole

Nana & Papa with their 3 grandkids

Here we are at home with Laney
Laney's stork in our front yard
Papa & Laney
I have felt so blessed by everyone's excitement for us and prayers through those last few weeks before Laney came. My labor & delivery could not have gone smoother than it did. I had specifically prayed that I would get a friendly nurse who would keep me talking and keep my mind off things. My nurse, Priscilla, was just that. She was so friendly and kept our conversation going so well, that I barely noticed all the pokes & pains. From the IV to the epidural (thankyou Lord!) to the pushing, it was really the best delivery of all my kids. I had a new doctor for this whole pregnancy and I was unsure how he would be during this whole process, but he was great! After it was all over, I just knew that God had shown me in a very real way that He loves me and is taking care of me and my little family. To Him, through good and bad, I give all my thanks and praise.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, so happy for you! I love the last little picture where you can see her toes so clearly! So cute!!! Can't wait to meet her in person!

Amanda said...

I loved reading this Melanie. I'm so happy for you guys. I'm believing God for Laney not to have galactosemia. Can't wait to meet your newest little lady! And she'll have a new friend in about 3weeks!

Tiffany said...

How I pray you get that good news. I can't wait to meet Laney!